Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Minister's Musings

Witnessing at the State House

A few weeks ago the NH State House of Representatives passed a budget with massive cuts to human services, to collective bargaining rights, and many other programs that are currently supported by the state. I went to Concord twice that week, knowing that being there wouldn’t change the vote. So why go?

I sat twice with a group of people holding vigil outside the Speaker’s office. And I stood in the gallery with the police unions and the firefighter’s unions. I wandered the halls and met people in wheelchairs, there to visit their representatives. But I was pretty sure that none of this would change the vote. So why go?

The bill has been passed to the State Senate. I have joined a group that sits vigil outside every Senate Finance Committee Meeting. I don’t have any idea what affect our presence has on the outcome of the meetings let alone the final vote. So why go?

The first reason: I have found it difficult to stay away. I have gotten behind on my email and some of the jobs I do here at church (you may be one of the people experiencing this choice on my part!) Still, I am going once a week to Concord to participate in the vigil.

The second reason I go is the long list of personal experiences I have had, including with mental health and disability awareness, my years in public schools, my own time as a union member and my understanding of what unions have done in this country for the rights of working people.

The third reason I go is because I can. So many people who want to go cannot. But I can. So I do.

And finally I go simply to be a witness. I don’t know that my, that any of us, being there in the hallway outside the hearings will have a tangible effect on what happens. But it does make a difference that people know that we are seeing what is happening.

I don’t think there is inherent conflict between people’s essential human needs. We find all kinds of things to be in conflict about and I think it is possible for these matters to be resolved so that all people’s needs are tended to. I don’t know exactly what that would look like, but I think it’s possible; and so I shall continue to act as if it is.

Kendra
Reverend Kendra Ford